Monday, March 27, 2017

March 27: 4.31 miles

The purpose and frequency of this little running diary continues to evolve, which is just fine since it isn't really much of a reading blog anyway. 

I've continued to pile up miles in a more or less consistent fashion over the course of the month, often in pretty dodgy weather, so that's pretty good.  Sometimes it's felt pretty good.  Other times, like today, it's been drudgery.  The current mission is to try to bag an 80-mile month.  Eighty is what you might call "psychologically important."  It's supposed to be the standard, the sum of four twenty-mile weeks.  But, I haven't hit it since January of last year, although February got me to 79.34. 

Sitting at my desk at work, I was at 66.81 with five weekdays available, and that felt a little daunting.  My four-and-change of drudgery this evening got me to 71.12 with four weekdays available, which somehow seems much more doable! 

75.59 will also get me the third-best March, which is pretty good -- #1 and #2 are up out of reach, in the nineties.  I'm thinking March '13 and March '14 must have been considerably more sunny than March '17, which -- also it has avoided the Biblical excess of February '17 -- is already the fourth rainiest March since the airport started keeping records in 1940.  And like me, it has four weekdays still to go.

So to recap, I need:
  • 4.47 miles for the 3rd best March
  • 8.88 for an eighty-mile month

Interestingly -- to me -- I've signed on for a half-marathon in June.  I'm not sure this is a great idea, but what the heck.

The Avatar is four miles east of Switz City on Indiana Highway 54.

No comments:

Post a Comment