Sunday, January 22, 2017

January 22: The Weekend Round-Up

I had runs this weekend, including Friday, of 4.17, 4.27, and 7.33.  That's not a bad weekend, is it?  No, it's not. 

The Friday run brought me home from work, something I used to do a lot but haven't much for a long time.  It had the incentive of boosting cumulative mileage for January 20 over the 10-mile mark.  Different things motivate different people, right?  Right.

On Saturday I set out to run back to work and claim my car.  I took an indirect route, because I wanted to break the 4.22 all-time record for January 21.  It was a miserable run, with a cold rain, a stiff headwind, and lots of uphills, and eventually there were calf cramps.  Even though I didn't relish walking in the dreadful weather, I immediately ran out of gas after passing the record, at 4.27, and waddled shamefully the remaining mile.  When I got home, I found that I had misremembered my mileage target, and the record was really 4.29.  Curses!

Today I had an all-time record of 5.5 and sunshine peaking through the clouds, so I decided to try a long version of the Reed College route.  With a couple of sidetracks thrown in, I racked up 7.33 miles.  That gets me back to as far as I've been able to go in the reboot, a hair longer than my January 3 run and again my longest run since April of last year.  So that kind of eases the pain of yesterday, and gets me to almost 18 miles, the best week so far in 2017 and pretty respectable when you consider that it was too icy to run on Monday and Tuesday.

My Avatar crossed the Ohio into Illinois today at Cave-In-Rock, a down-at-heels looking spot for all of its cool name, and he's now making his way north on State Road 1.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment